Tuesday, March 07, 2006

Wow, what a terrible week

So, I just got a 76% on my physics exam. This is very bad. Why is it bad? Because it means that I missed at least 2 key concepts in electromagnetism. The worst part is, I came out of that test knowing that I applied my understanding of physics to the best of my abilities. I didn't panic, took my time, and thought pretty clearly through each problem. And I came out with a 76%. What does this mean? It means some of the fundamental concepts that I base my entire understanding of physics on is wrong.
That's the worst feeling ever. It doesn't matter that I did OK relative to the rest of the class. I'd be just as sad if I got a 76% and was the best in the class, and would be overjoyed if I got a 95% on an exam, even if 95% was average.
What's even worse is that I studied for this test pretty seriously for two days. By seriously I mean I didn't do anything but study. I talked to nobody, didn't chat, didn't do any other homework. For two days, I devoted my entire life to physics. And this is my payback. A slightly above-average score. What a bitter result.
Nevertheless, I look forward to finding out exactly what I did wrong, and perhaps fixing all the mistakes that my physics professor inevitably made on his exam key.

3 comments:

Simfish InquilineKea said...

Hey, I thought you said that you didn't care about your grades anymore.

That, and I can see how one wrong answer on one of the problems can lead to a cascade of wrong answers for the rest of the problems.

It's just one test. What if you took a test every day? I actually think that would be a wonderful way to learn - so interactive! in fact, apcentral.collegeboard.com is an excellent source of practice tests (just look at AP Physics C).

Simfish InquilineKea said...

You know, I think I'm overly idealistic. Lectures might actually help. A study on Nobel laureates showed that a large number of them got interested in science/math due to an inspirational teacher. It's the human element. Most Nobel laureates aren't that autistic/anti-social/schizoidal/schizotypal. It's just that I've been focusing on those abnormal Nobel laureates too much, who gain their inspiration internally. Sure, the textbook is the most efficient way to learn, if you're a robot. Otherwise...

Julenka said...

I'm not complaining about my score in terms of the grade, I'm complaining that my low score indicates I didn't understand something important.