Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Birthdays

It is my birthday tommorow. I remember when my birthday was the most important day of the year. I'd stay up late, anxiously awaiting that would signify that I was officially one year older. In the morning, I would eagerly open the presents my parents lined up around my room. Later that evening, we would celebrate with a huge party with a homemade dinner and my favorite strawberry cake.

Nowadays, I hardly even remember my birthday. I stay up the night before chatting or reading, not in anticipation. My birthday is usually on or one day after finals. I look forward to it more as the day after finals, not the day I was born. One year doesn't seem all that much when you're 16, and by that time you don't want to get older anyway. I don't get presents anymore on my birthday. They usually come later, and I don't want much anyway. Instead of a large party, I just go to a nice restaraunt with my parents, if I'm even with my parents.

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis.

(Times change, and we change in them).

3 comments:

Jonathan McKay said...

Well happy birthday nonetheless!

Simfish InquilineKea said...

Nowadays, I think of birthdays as one year closer to death. my parents already screwed tradition and stopped giving my presents. Actually, compared with others, my parents don't respect tradition that much. It's just compared to me, even they are tradition worshipping conservatives.

Julenka said...

Thanks, Jonathan!