Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Talk About A Demoralizing Teacher

So, today my physics teacher basically told me I suck at physics and should not pursue physics because I'm terrible at it. He said something along the lines of,

"If you were a doctor and you knew medicine like you knew physics, I wouldn't want to be your patient. Nobody would want to be your patient, because you'd be terrible"

Then he went on to say,
"You should only do what you're good at. If I were you I'd pick one thing, one goal, one thing I'm good at and strive for it."

I completely agree with both statements, (especially the latter), and think I will drop the physics major in favor of computer science (if I get in, that is).

But just in case you were wondering, telling your students that stuff they think is hard is "trivial" (as my professor pointed out, the integral of x^2 exp(-(x-3)^2) from neg. infinity to infinity is trivial) and telling them they suck at whatever it is your teaching isn't the best way to get a student excited about a topic. Even if the student sucks, don't tell them that. Telling someone they suck at something isn't going to make them like or learn it any better.

No comments: