Monday, June 12, 2006

A Puzzle

I was going to write about African child laborors working in copper mines, but instead I'll give you a puzzle.
I found it from a search on the word "google puzzle"

"Using the numbers 3, 3, 8, 8 (in any order), make a mathematical expression that equals 24. You can use only addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division (and parentheses), but in any order you wish. Note that you have to use all four numbers; otherwise 3 times 8 would be valid -- and that wouldn't be much of a puzzle, would it?"

There's also a nice solution where you can use any mathematical operators you know (and have been proven beyond a doubt).

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I won't post the correct solution, which uses only addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division, since I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but here's one other solution, using other functions and operators:

(8/(8-3-3))!

Julenka said...

Nice. Okay I'll do one too: sqrt(8*8*3*3)