Tuesday, February 21, 2006

The Harvard Grad Student

So.
There's a Harvard Grad student downstairs. She's working on her PhD in math, and already has her postdocs lined up for 3 years. All at Harvard. She comes off as very quiet, and very intelligent. She's working on some sort of very complicated Algebra.

We had dinner, and I was surprised at how passive and ordinary she seemed. I mean, you'd think people from Harvard are like this elite class of super-humans or something. I mean, they're at Harvard! But no, they're just ordinary people. Smart, yes. But in other respects, pretty darn ordinary.

I was amazed at how little she had to say about Harvard other than her math students were unenthusiastic about math. You'd think that Harvard would be a school of privledged elites who love all subjects. Not so. The school is just as diverse as the UW. Okay, maybe the UW is quite a bit more diverse. But the two are both intelligence and interest spectrums. Both have their outliers, and that bell-shaped middle.

And as always, half of the class is always below average.

Still, I'd like to go to Harvard, or an equally renowned school simply because then I'd be surrounded by really smart people. And I always enjoy that.

No comments: