Thursday, July 20, 2006

Gum and Rain

I saw this quote on my pack of Dentyne gum today:

"Tall people may be taller, but the rain also hits them first"

I really don't understand why this quote is supposed to be inspirational, because even though the rain may hit the taller person first, it still hits the shorter person! In the end, both people are equally wet. Plus, the rain hits the taller person maybe a few milliseconds before the shorter person, which in human time really isn't a noticeable amount.

I wish Dentyne would put something more inspirational on their gum wrappers, like

"Every artist was once an amateur"(Emerson), or

"The power of imagination makes us infinite"(Muir).



5 comments:

Jonathan McKay said...

*I* wouldn't mind if bad things happened to me later. Maybey dentene sells more things to short people, or maybe they put the quotes on there as a concession to someone on the board. We will never know.

Anonymous said...

As per the Emerson quote: does this imply that all artists are professionals, and why would this be so? Couldn't there be an amateur artist?

The Dentyne quote reminds me of the problem: say you want to get to your car from a building, but it's raining. Assuming that the rain falls regularly, in order to be hit by the fewest drops, should you run to your car, or walk to your car?

Jonathan McKay said...

Drops = Magnitude x Time
Time = Distance / Speed
Magnitude = sqrt(speed^2 + raindropspeed^2)

Drops = sqrt(speed^2 + raindropspeed^2)* Distance / Speed


Drops' = ((speed^2 + raindropspeed^2)^(-1/2)*2distance) - sqrt(speed^2 + raindropspeed^2) * distance/speed^2

so when
2 = (speed^2 + raindropspeed^2) /speed^2
You will have a minimum time.

I can't believe I just did that. I need to sleep. Now.

Julenka said...

Johnathan: Maybey Maybey might be spelled maybe :P. If it wasn't something like rain, I might care more if it happened a split second later.

Nate: You told me the answer already :P.
To me, an artist who gets money for his art is a professional.

Johnathan: What you wrote looks like a mix of math, programming and physics :P

Anonymous said...

also: "the rain stops hitting the taller person first"

(ps im back! you're around! i want to see you!)